Call for Artists
Deadline: March 4, 2022
Essential Worker Appreciation Mural
The Lake County Arts Council continues to seek proposals for an Essential Worker Appreciation Mural with a new deadline of March 4, 2022. The Mural will be painted in Lakeport on the Meals on Wheels Thrift Store wall at 120 N. Main Street, facing First Street. The mural will be clearly visible to vehicles on Main St. as well as foot traffic. The budget for this project is $8,000, which includes materials, artist’s labor, installation needs, and any necessary travel expenses.
The selection process will be finished by March 30, 2022. We will announce the chosen proposal by March April 4, 2022. The window for installation will be April 5 through June 1, 2022.
- This mural is intended to show our community’s appreciation for the efforts of local essential workers during the pandemic; an homage to the people who have supported and sustained us–many unseen.
- Representation of a diverse variety of essential workers, peoples, and genders should be central to the composition.
- If including environment, a sense of place or experience of the Pandemic – here in Lake County is preferred
The panel will review submissions the week of March 6th. Approved submissions will be passed on to a public voting process. Local essential workers will be given the opportunity to vote on their favorite amongst qualified submissions. We ask that your proposed images are inclusive, appropriate for all public audiences, and do not contain anything lewd or profane, nor contain any religious iconography.
Qualifying submissions will be reviewed by a panel consisting of local community members as well as voted on by local essential workers through a public poll. Panelist’s scoring will be based on artistic merit, expression of equity and resilience, potential for community engagement, diversity of populations engaged, responsiveness to site, and feasibility of implementation. Local essential workers will vote based on whichever piece they favor most, which will heavily weigh the final decision by the panel.
1. Resume or CV: Current professional resume or curriculum vitae (CV), detailing professional artistic accomplishments and references from past public art projects, including artist mailing address, email, and phone number. Must include at least three (3) images of prior mural/installation work that clearly demonstrate the artist’s capabilities to complete the proposed work. Resume or CV can be an online portfolio website as long as the requested information is clearly demonstrated. Otherwise, please compile resume and prior work images as a PDF portfolio.
2. Proposed project: Concise written description of proposed design for mural including materials and project timeline, plus full-color visual mock-up or rendering of proposed mural. Images should be at least 150 dpi in JPG or PDF format.
Submissions should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line reading “Essential Workers“ and the artist’s First and Last name. The body of your email should include your concise written description accompanied by your attached proposed image mock-up, and resume/portfolio either as an attached PDF or as a link to your online portfolio.
Pictures and more information about the project can be found here.
More information about the essential workers mural project is available at email@example.com or (707) 263-6658.